Our Adults Brazilian Jiu Jitsu program focuses on the fundamentals of jiu jitsu as well as the basics of self-defense and fitness.
What to Expect
Adult classes involve 90 minutes of cooperative partner work, technical drilling, and intense sparring. Students will practice various situational attacks, transitions, escapes, takedowns, throws, and strategies.
- All fitness levels are welcome
- No previous martial arts or grappling experience is required
- We are inclusive to all sizes and abilities
- Instructors teach students to develop a style that works best for them
- This class is ideal for adults 13 and up
Structure varies based on instructor and attendance, but in general, students can expect:
- 5 minutes of warm-ups/stretches
- 55 minutes instructing new technics and drills
- 30 minutes of live sparring/rolling
Gi versus No-gi Grappling
At BCBJJ we teach two styles of grappling:
- Gi Grappling: Traditional Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is practiced in a gi, which is a thick martial arts uniform. The gi introduces added strategies using fabric grips. Gi grappling emphasizes technical precision.
- No-Gi Grappling: Practiced without a traditional uniform; just shirt/rashguard and shorts/spats. No-gi submission grappling removes certain grips, requiring heightened positional awareness in scrambles with speed, agility, and adaptability
Both styles offer unique benefits for all students and we encourage everyone to train in both styles!
Adult jiu jitsu classes are held 5 days a week. You can view classes on our full schedule here, or on the table below: